Tuesday, August 10, 2010

topical test

SECTION A

ANSWER ALL THE QUESTIONS

For Question 1- 30 ,each question is followed by four alternative answers A,B,C or D .Choose one correct answer for each question.

1. Plants cells show turgor pressure when

A the cells are losing water from their vacuoles
B the vacuoles are filled with water
C water is being utilized during photosynthesis
D water is being evaporated from the leaves

2. Which of the following statements is the definition of simple diffusion?

A Movement of molecules from an area of lower concentration to an area of higher
concentration.
B Movement of water from an area of lower solute concentration to an area of higher solute concentration across a semi permeable membrane.
C Movement of molecules from an area of higher concentration to an area of lower
concentration
D Movement of water from an area of lower water concentration to an area of higher
Water concentration across a semi- permeable membrane

3. Which of the following involves osmosis?

A Respiration in unicellular organism.
B Movement of a hypertonic solution into the red blood cell
C Dispersal of hydrogen sulphide gas in the atmosphere
D The release of carbon dioxide from the lungsto the atmosphere.

4. Figure 1 shows a plant cell immersed in salt solution.
Figure 1






What can be inferred from this experiment?

A Loss of water by the plant cell
B Water has moved inside the cell making it turgid
C The salt solution has caused the cell wall to break
D The cytoplasm is hypertonic to the salt solution

5. Four blocks of jelly which are clear and not coloured are put into beakers filled with methyl
blue solution as shown in Figure 2.
Figure 2
Which of the 4 blocks of jelly becomes blue the fastest?

6. How does fresh water fish regulate its body fluid?

A Consuming a lot of food
B The cytoplasm has a high concentration of salt
C Excreting dilute urine frequently
D Absorbing salt through its skin

7 The movement of molecules across the plasma membrane depends on

I the size of the molecules
II the shape of the molecules
III the polarity of the molecules
IV the solubility of the molecules in lipid

A I and II B II and III C II and IV D I, III and IV

8 Which of the following statements about facilitated diffusion are true?

I Facilitated diffusion is a type of passive transport
II Facilitated diffusion moves molecules down the concentration gradient
III Facilitated diffusion does not require the expenditure of energy
IV Facilitated diffusion is made possible by carrier proteins located within the
membranes

A I and II B II and III C I, III and IV D I , II , III and IV

9. Which of the following involves diffusion?

I Oxygen intake in the lungs
II Mineral intake by plant roots
III The absorption of digested food in the intestines
IV The absorption of water into the xylem

A I ,II and III B I and III C II and IV D I , II, III and IV
10. Figure 3 shows the results of an experiment . The solution in the glass tube has risen to level
X after 3 hours .
Figure 3
Which of the following procedure can raise the level of sugar solution in the glass tube
higher than X

A Use a bigger beaker
B Use a smaller visking tube
C Fill the visking tube with distilled water
D Fill the visking tube with a sucrose solution of 0.6 mol/dm3


11 Which of the following equations represents aerobic respiration?

A Carbon dioxide + water + energy Oxygen + glucose
B Oxygen + glucose carbon dioxide + water + glucose
C Glucose + carbon dioxide oxygen + water + energy
D Energy + oxygen carbon dioxide + water + glucose

12 What are the end products of anaerobic respiration in human muscle tissues during vigorous
exercise?

A Lactic acid and energy
B Lactic acid and carbon dioxide
C Ethanol and carbon dioxide
D Carbon dioxide and water


13 Figure 4 shows a longitudinal section through an alveolus and the associated blood capillary
in a lung’
Figure 4






Which of the following describe the concentration of oxygen at X and Y ?








X Y
A Low Low
B Low High
C High Low
D High High

14. Exchange of respiratory gases through the skin is characteristic of


A fish B amphibians C reptiles D mammals

15. During a race ,an athlete experiances


I a reduced avaibility of oxygen to the muscles
II an increase in the breathing rate
III an increased carbon dioxide concentration in the blood
IV an increase in the heartbeat rate

A I and III B II and IV C II, III and IV D I , II , III and IV

16. What are the common characteristic shown by the respiratory surfaces of animals?

I They are thin
II They are moist
III They have a large surface area
IV They are covered by a network of capillaries

A I and II B III and IV C I , II and III D I , II , III and IV

17. Air is inhaled when

I the external intercostals muscles relax
II the rib cage moves upwards and downwards
III the diaphgram muscles relax
IV the pressure in the thoracic cavity decreases

A I and II B II and IV C I, II and III D I, III and IV

18 Which of the following shows the similarity between anaerobic respiration of the yeast and anaerobic respiration in the skeletal muscle?

A Lactic acid is produced
B Energy is produced
C Oxygen is used
D Ethanol is produced

19.
Figure 5








Figure 5 shows the set up of an experimentto study respiration.Which of the following is the colour of the bicarbonate indicator in the boiling tubes U and V after 60 minutes?







U V
A Yellow Yellow
B Yellow Red
C Purple Red
D Red Yellow

20 Which of the following is not an adaptation of the body when in a situationof low atmospheric pressure?

A Increasing the rate of respiration
B Increasing the blood pressure
C Decreasing the pH of blood
D Producing more red blood cells

21 Transport systems have been developed in multicellular organisms because








I oxygen could not get to the body cells quickly enough
II waste products would accumulate in cells , killing them
III the body fluid would clot when the blood vessels are damaged
IV the supply of nutrients to all cells by diffusion would be too slow

A I and II B I, II and IV C II, III and IV D I, II , III and IV


22 During the contraction of the human heart , the highest pressure is developed in the








A right strium B left atrium C right ventrical D left ventrical


23 Which of the following combines with a molecule of oxygen in haemoglobin?

A Calcium B Iron C Magnesium D Potassium

24 Antibodies are manufactured by cells called

A antigens B pathogens C lymphocytes D phagocytes

25 Phagocytosis of a bacterium by a white blood cell includes the following steps.

I The phagocyte strongly adheres to the bacterium
II The breakdown products are absorbed by the bacterium
III The phagocyte releases enzymes to break down the bacterium
IV The phagocyte is attracted to chemicals produced by the bacterium

The correct sequence for this process is

A I , IV, II , III B I , IV , III, II C IV, I , II, III D IV , I , III , II

26 Which of the following are risk factors for heart disease?

I Lack of exercise
II Obesity
III Smoking
IV Chronic stress

A I and III B II and IV C II, III and IV D I, II, III and IV


27 Figure 6 shows the cross section of a type of plant tissue

Figure 6

What is the function of this type of tissue?

A Support B Food storage
C Transport of organic food D Transport of water and mineral salts


28 Transpiration is responsible for

I keeping the stomata open
II increasing the rate of respiration
III keeping the plants cool on hot , sunny days
IV passing mineral salts from the roots to the shoot

A I and IV B III and IV C I, III , IV D II, III and IV

29 Nitrates and sulphates reach the mesophyll cells of the leaf mainly by the way of the

A cuticle B phloem C stomata D xylem

30 The transport of water up the xylem vessels depends on

I capillary
II hydrostatic pressure
III root pressure
IV transpiration pull

A I and IV B III and IV C I, III and IV D II, III and IV

No comments:

Post a Comment